Traveling to Europe is expensive, especially if you’re going to the popular tourist destinations like London, Paris, and Rome. To save money, try going to these unique and underrated European cities.
- Croatian Coast
- Cities along the Croatian Coast like Dubrovnik, Hvar, and Split are a great alternative to the Almafi Coast because it still boasts all of the beauty and history as the Almafi Coast, without the up-charge of being a tourist hot-spot
- Edinburgh, Scotland
- Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland, as London is England, so it still has all of the castles and rich history of monarchy, but is in a slightly more historic setting. London has become very built up and is losing it’s historic feel, so Edinburgh will become the new popular spot in the UK before long
- Brussels, Belgium
- With amazing chocolate and cafes lining the cobblestone streets, Brussels is a similar destination to Paris, without all of the busy streets. It is still a very quaint city that has yet to become too American-ized and industrialized, so it is a great place to get a true European experience
- County Clare, Ireland
- While Dublin is popular for its history and city life, County Clare is historic in its own right. It boasts castles, amazing seafood, and the unbeatable Cliffs of Moher
- Bassano del Grappa, Italy
- Just one hour from Venice is the waterfront city of Bassano del Grappa, which is known for it’s old, wooden bridge Ponte delgi Alpini, cobblestone streets and numerous museums
- Lisbon, Portugal
- It’s neighbor to the west, Lisbon surely beats out Madrid as a stop on your European travels. Not only is it waterfront, but is filled with sunshine, beautifully colored buildings and some of the best food on the Iberian Peninsula
- Siena, Italy
- Siena is much like Florence, but without the big crowds. It’s rich history, beautiful city, and amazing landscape make it a perfect stop to get a truly Tuscan experience
- Rhodes, Greece
- Rhodes is home to its own set of ruins with much less crowding that the tourist hot-spot of Athens, and it is only a ferry ride away
- Tallinn, Estonia
- This city is a beautiful blend of both Russian and Scandinavian influence that you can explore by foot for days on end. Why not stop at this UNESCO World Heritage site instead of the popular Stockholm?
- Valencia, Spain
- Valencia is home to all of the great aspects of Barcelona – beaches, shopping, nightlife, great food – while keeping out the negatives – pickpocketing. Valencia’s buildings are filled with color and just being in a city this beautiful is sure to lift your spirits any day
Read the rest of My Domaine’s article here.